Providing Consistent Customer Support

A Great Experience Shouldn’t Depend on the Luck of the Draw as It Does with Dell's Support Processes

May 12, 2011

When support knowledge isn’t consistent from agent to agent, you have to be lucky to get a successful outcome. Dell’s current support processes seem to depend on the luck of the draw! To provide consistent support, businesses need to provide up-to-date and shared access to up-to-date troubleshooting tools and knowledge bases. They also need to capture customers’ contexts so customers don’t have to repeat themselves over and over.

NETTING IT OUT

When something breaks, especially if it is something important to daily life, like a car or a laptop, customers want it fixed quickly, accurately, and with a minimum of hassle. They also want the experience to be pleasant and reassuring. Furthermore, they want a good and successful experience consistently, every time they need your help!

The success of a customer support experience—or any customer experience—shouldn’t depend on the support person who happens to be at the other end of the phone, or the chat line, or at the counter. Your organization should provide adequate training, a knowledgebase of problem resolutions, and a culture and policies that emphasize the customers’ relationships with your brand.

Here, we tell a story that, although it had a happy ending, could have had disaster written all over it. But for the luck of the draw…

An Auto Repair Scenario

An Auto Repair Scenario
(Click on image to enlarge.)

© 2011 Patricia Seybold Group

Illustration 1. The things a customer wants in an auto repair situation can be applied to pretty much any product support scenario.

WHAT CUSTOMERS WANT FROM SERVICE AND SUPPORT

More than Just Fixing the Problem

When something goes wrong with a product, customers look to you as the provider to make it right again. That’s goal number one. Fix my problem—make me productive and happy again.

But beyond just getting things back on track, customers also want a positive experience when working with your organization on the fix. Let me give you an example:

SCENARIO: MY [CAR] IS BROKEN. This break/fix scenario is a really common customer experience pattern. We’ll use the example of a car repair. But, as you’ll see, the same moments of truth are relevant for any break/fix situation. When my car breaks down, I usually don’t know exactly why. Oh, I know the symptoms, and probably the general category of the problem, but mostly I just want to be safely and happily driving again.

Now, I can get my car fixed at hundreds of locations within my local area. But there are other considerations—which can be considered moments of truth in any repair scenario:

* I want the location to be convenient. If I’m leaving my car there, I need to be able to get home and get back to pick it up once it’s working again. I don’t want to have to spend an hour on a bus getting there. Having a loaner to drive is important to me if the car will be out of commission for more than a few hours.

* I want the repair done right the first time. I don’t want to have to come back to re-fix the problem or to have to fix anything that might have been broken during the initial repair.

* I want the repair to be completed as soon as possible, and I want an accurate time estimate. I don’t want to be low priority on your repair schedule.

* I want a reasonable price, and I want to know the estimate upfront. I don’t want to get a lowball estimate and then get a bill that is twice that.

* If there are additional costs or delays, I want to be notified as soon as possible. I don’t want to have to call you to find out what’s happening, and, again, I don’t want to be presented a bill for things I didn’t know needed repair.

* I want the necessary repairs explained to me in language I understand. And I want to know if I caused the problem (actually, I want to be reassured that I didn’t cause the problem, or if I did, that anyone could have made the mistake, and how to avoid it in the future). I don’t want to be spoken down to or be made to feel stupid.

* I want to be recognized and treated as a valued customer. Remember the car I have, its repair history with your shop, and specifics about me as a customer (such as, I’ve been bringing cars here for over 20 years, that I like the shop to arrange a loaner/rental car for me, etc.). I don’t want to have to explain things over and over.

* I want to have this good experience every time I interact with your company and with every person who assists me, from the receptionist to the estimator to every mechanic who touches my car. I don’t want my experience to be based on the individual who happens to be assigned my job!

(For these reasons, I, like most car owners, seek out and then stick with a repair shop that meets my needs—a big shout out to Michael J. Hynes Auto Repair, www.hynesauto.com .)

CONSISTENCY IS VITAL. Let’s look more deeply at that last bullet, which is basically about consistency. How discouraging to call a repair shop that you’ve been going to for years and have someone ask if you’ve every been there before or inform you that you needed to pay with a cashiers check when the shop has accepted your personal check for over 10 years without question? How awful would it be if, when you took your car for a repair, you couldn’t depend on the repair being done right? Garages don’t (or shouldn’t) let inexperienced mechanics fix complex problems without oversight and guidance from someone who has successfully done that type of repair before.

Ensuring consistency requires three primary commitments:

* Training of personnel

* Capturing customer information and “fixes” in an accessible knowledgebase (which might be as simple as the brains of the more experienced guys)

* Company policy to do whatever it takes to provide great and accurate service and support

We’ll talk more about these commitments after I share my story about an inconsistent experience trying to get a vital repair...

Sign in to download the full article

21 comments

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 18, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
    Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Appreciate it.
    buy tiktok likes

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 20, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
    It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing.
    calamitawealth.com

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 24, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
    Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.
  • getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 26, 2021 at 8:23 a.m.
    Great content material and great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.
    Freedom Party

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 27, 2021 at 7:39 a.m.
    I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.
    Movers

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on April 28, 2021 at 2:09 p.m.
    Merely  a smiling  visitant here to share the love (:, btw  outstanding  style.
    The Lock Doctor

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 1, 2021 at 7:57 a.m.
    I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today.  This is very well written and your points are well-expressed.  Please, don’t ever stop writing.
    check out this site

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 4, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
    Awesome article!  I want people to know just how good this information is in your article.  It’s interesting, compelling content.  Your views are much like my own concerning this subject.

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 6, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
    Governance, Risk & Compliance Tools

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 10, 2021 at 7:11 a.m.
    An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this matter, it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers
    Equity Release

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 17, 2021 at 7:21 a.m.
    Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. I am moving forward and may apply to my current job as a  pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional  expand. Regards.

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 18, 2021 at 4:04 a.m.
    Prime Massage Chairs

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 19, 2021 at 4:30 a.m.
    csgo green trust accounts

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on May 29, 2021 at 4:58 a.m.
    I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.
    AmberleighGardens.co.uk

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 3, 2021 at 8:21 a.m.
    I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    buy toyota spare parts online

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 6, 2021 at 4:22 a.m.
    Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link  to this instead if thats cool. Thanks.
    auto detailing san diego

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 10, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
    Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
    visit this site

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 12, 2021 at 7:06 a.m.
    BabyOutlet

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 15, 2021 at 7:07 a.m.
    Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways.  I think this is engaging and eye-opening material.  Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.
    ergonomic chair back support

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 16, 2021 at 5:59 a.m.
    Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

• getnada.com
    xalelpipyle pipyle on June 17, 2021 at 6:15 a.m.
    You have a real ability for writing unique content.  I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article.  I agree with your way of thinking.  Thank you for sharing.
    apparel

You must be a member to comment. Sign in or create a free account.